My question to general humanity is this: What on earth would possess a person, following a lengthy discussion about helping, to call the person who had cooked us dinner and force them to return to wash the two dishes that he'd left in the sink? Anyone? Because I'm angry. Beyond angry. Although, I was nearly in tears with laughter when the absurdity hit me.
Man of the Year is a great movie. Not at all what I expected, a little better. It raises a lot of questions about the validity of our current political system and the role that the entertainment world should/could/might play in the grand scheme of things. Plus, Robin Williams amuses me.
Oh.. and they made a film of the book Children of Man. I squealed in anticipation when the preview came on before I saw the name. The book is amazing. When I first started reading it I couldn't get through the first chapter... but once I got hooked into it, it's just simply amazing. It's not that the words are particularly beautiful, but the story is just so powerful. It's the story of a world in which men have become sterile and people are simply waiting to die. People are killed when they are no longer useful. The world is in uproar. The governments are shutting down entire cities. Those who are members of the last generation born are taking over and ruling in fear. Women push baby dolls in carriages and treat them as if they are real. And one woman is secretly pregnant. The future of the world rests on her shoulders, those of her protector (a scholar who ran over his 3-year-old child on accident) and a small group of vigilantes known as Humana. Go. Read. Before the movie changes the view of it. It's not a new book. I picked it up at the market used bookcart in Florida, but it's amazing.
I still need to get some work done and then try to map out some stuff for November. I hate November. A mixed up time of not yet winter and not quite the end of fall.. too many birthdays I'd rather not remember. Maybe I'll declare it a non-month and skip it all.
I'm going to stop rambling and deal with my anger in a more constructive way... work and knitting.
Here goes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment